Getting the most from your WorldAncestors website
If you have just signed up with WorldAncestors or you have requested a 7 day free trial, you may be slightly confused as to what to do next. Well, there are two ways of adding content to your site:
1. Import a GEDCOM file by going to the Administration section and then click on the Import/Export button. What is is a GEDCOM file and where do I get one from, you may be wondering? A GEDCOM file is a standard way of transferring genealogical information from one website or program to another. For instance, If you have a family tree already with Ancestry (or any other website), you can export all your family tree information to a GEDCOM file and it will keep all the information intact, so that when you import it into your WorldAncestors site, the tree will automatically be created. All family tree software and websites support this file format.
2. Start from scratch. In the Administration section, click on the People button and select the Add New tab. Enter the details and click on Save and continue. On the next screen, you can then add parents, spouses/partners etc.
From there, the best way forward is to go back to the Public Home page (link at the top of the Admin page), click on Surnames and find the list of the people you have just added. Click on one of them and you will see all the details for that individual.
By clicking on the Ancestors tab you will see the beginnings of a family tree if you have added anyone directly related to that person. To add more people, click on the Edit tab. You will soon have dozens or even hundreds of people on your tree!
Using images for individuals and in charts
One of the most useful things about TNG is the ability to upload images and associate them with individuals. Do you know how to make an image the default image that shows at the top of the page and on pedigree and descendancy charts?
1. Go to the Administration section > Media > Select an image that has already been uploaded (or upload a new one - Add Media).
2. Click on the Edit button by the side of the image
3. Under Media Links - link it to an individual by searching through the list.
4. Make sure that it is selected as the 'Default Photo' and 'Show' is checked
5. The image will appear at the top of the individual's Personal information page and on any charts that you create.
Creating vertical descendant charts
TNG is a very powerful programme for creating either pedigree or descendant charts. By clicking on the small charting icon ( ), anywhere you see it, you will create a new pedigree chart from that person. Descendant charts work a little differently, but you can create a vertical chart from any ancestor to any direct descendant that shows all the siblings with images if you have them. Much easier for printing too.
1. Select the person you want at the top of the tree.
2. Click on the 'Descendants' tab. This creates a chart going left to right with a s many generations as you have selected.
3. Click on 'Register' and you will see a text version of the chart showing the generations you have indicated.
4. Then click on the icon that appears next to any name on the page .
5. You will then get a new chart generated vertically, that shows all the siblings and spouses of direct descendants with any images.
Using Google maps
Using maps is a fantastic way of showing where your ancestors lived and how they moved around, particularly if their origin was a long way from where they are now. You may also get a sense of their motivation for moving, sometimes to a completeley new country far away from their birth. TNG allows you have maps for individuals and markers indicating places where they lived and worked. This is a great feature that links directly with Google Earth (if you have it installed).
1. Go to the Administration section > Setup > Map Settings.
2. You must get a map key from Google in order to use Google Maps on your site. You can obtain a key here. After you receive your key, paste it into the Map Key field on the TNG Map Settings page. If you later decide not to use Google Maps, simply remove the key from this field and the maps and map-related fields will no longer display. (TNG v8 only). TNG version 9 does not require a map key.
Where you are asked for the website URL, enter your WorldAncestors website address (http://family.worldancestors.com)
3. Change any of the settings in that section. There is a Help file to give you assistance.
4. Click on 'Places' in the Administration left navigation.
5. If you have entered any locations for birth, death etc. they will be shown.
6. Click on the Edit button to the left of the place you want to see on your map .
7. Click on the 'Show/Hide clickable map' button. This will bring up a World map. Click on 'Search'.
8. This should find the exact location of the place and display the Latitude and Longitude coordinates in the boxes. If the marker is not in the exact place you want, click on the map to move the marker. Adjust the zoom level as required.
9. Select from the dropdown list where it says 'Place Level'. This will colour code the marker.
10. Scroll down and click 'Save'.
11. Anyone with a location that you have entered the Latitude and Longitude for as above will show a Google map on their individual Personal information page. This will also link to Google Earth, if you have it installed, for extra detail.